Sikkim standoff: China issues safety advisory for its citizens in India
New Delhi/Beijing: Amidst the ongoing border standoff, China has issued a safety advisory to its citizens travelling to and living in India.
The advisory was issued on 7 July and is for a month. No reason was given for issuing such a notice.
The advisory comes as Indian and Chinese troops have been engaged in a stand-off in Doklam region in Sikkim sector June 6, which has led to marked unease in ties.
Last week, the Chinese foreign ministry said depending on the security situation China could issue a travel alert to its citizens visiting India.
According to the advisory, Chinese living in India need to pay attention to the local security situation.
On June 6, the People’s Liberation Army destroyed bunkers of the India Army claiming the area belonged to China.
Of the 3,488-km-long India-China border from Jammu and Kashmir to Arunachal Pradesh, a 220-km section falls in Sikkim.
However, a Chinese official in Beijing said that the advisory is valid for a month. He also said “They (Chinese nationals) have been asked to contact local police or the Chinese Embassy in Delhi.”
Though it does not fall in the category of travel advisory, it asks Chinese in India to be alert to the local security situation. It also asks them to carry personal identification and keep their family, colleagues and friends posted about their movements.
Beijing had earlier this week said a travel alert to its citizens visiting India would be issued depending on the security situation. “The Chinese government attaches great importance to the safety and lawful rights of Chinese citizens,” Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang said.