Pyongyang: North Korea has cancelled high-level talks with South Korea, scheduled for today, over Seoul’s joint military exercises with the US.
Some 100 warplanes of US and South Korea began the Max Thunder drills on Friday. The North’s official KCNA news agency said, the exercises were a provocation and a rehearsal for an invasion.
The talks with South Korea, which were agreed earlier this week, were to take place at Panmunjom, a military compound in the demilitarised zone between the two countries.
Pyongyang has also threatened to cancel the much-anticipated summit between its leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump scheduled on the 12th of next month.
A US spokesman said, there was nothing provocative about the military drills adding that they would continue to prepare for the meeting between Mr Trump and Mr Kim.
US and South Korea have always insisted that such drills are purely for defence purposes.