T20 World Cup: After thrilling defeat against Zimbabwe, check how can Pakistan can still qualify for semis
Pakistan can still qualify for the semi-finals of the ongoing ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, but the odds are definitely not in their favour as they depend on the results of other teams in the group.
New Delhi: After suffering a shocking defeat from Zimbabwe, the tournament is now much more demanding for the men in green. While Zimbabwe celebrates this historic victory, Babar Azam and his men have a narrow way ahead. Pakistan can still qualify for the semi-finals of the ongoing ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, but the odds are definitely not in their favour as they depend on the results of other teams in the group.
Pakistan went through a defeat against arch-rivals India where Virat Kohli took the game away from them, and in their next fixture, the bounce aided Zimbabwe’s pacers as Pakistan’s batting collapsed in a low-scoring encounter. Now, Pakistan stands in the fifth position on the points table with zero points and a net run rate of -0.050.
Pakistan can still qualify if the following conditions are fulfilled:
- Men in green must win their next three games, which are against the Netherlands, South Africa and Bangladesh.
- They need some massive victories as the net run rate will also come into play. Currently, the Proteas have an NRR of 5.200.
- South Africa must lose to India as this can create a chance for Pakistan to take the second spot on the table.
- They need Zimbabwe to lose at least two games as the team currently stands in the third position with three points.
- They need Bangladesh to lose yet another game.
According to the points table, India, South Africa and Zimbabwe are heading closer to qualification while things look bleak for Pakistan and the Netherlands. Pakistani fans would be having their fingers crossed for the given conditions to be fulfilled. Last time, India was in a similar situation after losing to Pakistan and New Zealand.