No visitors for Wagah border ceremony over coronavirus scare

“As per govt guidelines, congregations are to be avoided, hence visitors to ceremony will not be entertained and it will be conducted without visitors,” the BSF said.

Avatar Written by March 6, 2020 21:00

New Delhi: The public ceremony at the Attari-Wagah border which is attended by 20,000 to 25,000 people has been put on hold in view of the coronavirus fears. However, BSF troopers will continue performing the Retreat ceremony. ”

This comes after the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare asked states and union territories to reduce mass gatherings in order to avoid the spread of novel coronavirus.

“As per govt guidelines, congregations are to be avoided, hence visitors to ceremony will not be entertained and it will be conducted without visitors,” the BSF said.

The Border Security Force conducts the ceremony in coordination with their cross-border counterparts Pak Rangers. It involves lowering of the flags of the two countries along with foot stomping manoeuvres of the troops.

The first COVID-19 outbreak was reported in China’s Wuhan City in December last year and since then it has spread to more than 60 countries.

support newsroompost
support newsroompost