China rejects WHO’s plan for 2nd phase of investigation into the origin of Covid-19

The first covid19 cases emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. The virus was believed to have jumped to humans from animals being sold for food at a city market.

Written by July 22, 2021 11:19
Lambda variant of COVID-19 not reported in India so far: Sources

China on Thursday rejected the World Health Organization’s (WHO) plan for the second phase of an investigation into the origin of the coronavirus, which includes the hypothesis it could have escaped from a Chinese laboratory, a top health official said.

This comes after WHO proposed for the second phase of studies into the origins of the coronavirus in China, including audits of laboratories and markets in the city of Wuhan, calling for transparency from authorities.

South, East Asia requires 1.9 million more nurses, midwives: WHO

“We will not accept such an origins-tracing plan as it, in some aspects, disregards common sense and defies science,” Zeng Yixin, vice minister of the National Health Commission (NHC), told reporters.

“We hope the WHO would seriously review the considerations and suggestions made by Chinese experts and truly treat the origin tracing of the COVID-19 virus as a scientific matter, and get rid of political interference,” Zeng said.

Zeng said China opposed politicising the study.

WHO

The first covid19 cases emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan in December 2019. The virus was believed to have jumped to humans from animals being sold for food at a city market.

support newsroompost
support newsroompost