Connect with us


First fatal shark attack in Sydney in nearly 60 years; Swimmer’s remains found on water

The authorities have ordered people to stay away from the water as the temperature rises to around 30 degrees Celsius.





A swimmer has been fatally attacked by a shark off a beach in Sydney’s south-east, resulting in death from “catastrophic injuries.” Following the incident, several beaches in Sydney including the popular Bondi and Bronte were shut down on Thursday. This registers to be the first shark attack at the city’s beaches after around 60 years.

Drum lines that are used to bait sharks have been installed near the attack site. Drones have also been deployed as officials search if the shark is still there in that area.

A video surfaced on the web showed a white shark attacking a person on Wednesday afternoon in the mid-waters of Little Bay Beach, about 20 km south of Australia’s largest city and near the entrance of Botany Bay. Police have not yet revealed the identity of the swimmer.

“This has been a complete shock for our community,” Dylan Parker, the mayor of Randwick Council which includes Little Bay, told Reuters. “Our coastline is our back yard and to have a tragic death under such horrifying circumstances is completely shocking.”

The attack happened days before the Murray Rose Malabar Magic Ocean Swim, an annual charity event, that thousands of swimmers attend at a neighbouring beach. Organisers reported that they have been looking after the situation and if the event had to be postponed, it will be held on March 6.

Marine police and surf lifesavers investigated the scene and as per the statement by New South Wales police, “located human remains in the water,” have been found. Besides, New South Wales (NSW) ambulance spokesperson said that by the time crew arrived at the spot for rescue, the swimmer was dead.  “Unfortunately this person had suffered catastrophic injuries and there was nothing paramedics could do,” they said.


The shark biologists of the NSW Department of Primary Industries believe that a white shark at least 3 metres in length were responsible for the swimmer’s death. Data showed that this was the first fatal shark attack in Sydney since 1963.

The authorities have ordered people to stay away from the water as the temperature rises to around 30 degrees Celsius.


“A few crazy surfers still go out and take the risk but most of us take notice and just stay out of the water until the sharks have gone. It’s a lot more dangerous driving to be quite honest,” a local resident Karen Romalis told Reuters.