New Delhi: In a glorious chapter for people of Hindu faith in America, the United States is all set to have the world’s biggest Hindu temple next month. The BAPS Swaminarayan Akshardham, built in New Jersey will be formally inaugurated on October 8 and its doors open for devotees from October 18.
The temple, situated in Robbinsville township of New Jersey has been under construction for 12 years now.
Construction work started way back in 2011 and involved over 12,500 volunteers from across the US. It is the first hand-carved temple outside India and boasts of all features & aesthetics of a modern era holy place.
Spread over an area of 183 acre, the temple is largest in the United States and possibly the second largest after Angkor Wat in Combodia.
Delhi’s Akshardham temple, built in 2005, is spread over 100 acres.
8 key facts about Swaminaryan Temple in US
1) Swaminarayan Akshardham will serve as landmark of Hindu culture & architecture in the Western Hemisphere. The temple’s inauguration will be done in presence of thousands of swamis & devotees and under guidance of BAPS spiritual guru Mahant Swami Maharaj.
2) The temple, spread over sprawling 183 acres is the largest Hindu temple in US. It is spread over an area of 255 ft x 345 ft x 191 ft. Angkor Wat Temple Complex, a 12th century Hindu temple is spread over 500 acres and now declared a UNESCO World Heritage site.
3) The Akshardham temple in New Jersey has been designed on basis of Hindu scriptures and boasts of many hues of Indian culture. It also carving of Indian dance forms & musical instruments.
4) The temple has 1 main shrine, 12 sub-shrine and 9 shikhars & pyramidal shikhars each. Four types of stones have been stoned in the structure including limestone, pink sandstone, marble & granite.
5) The temple has been designed to last a thousand years and structured to withstand all odds including extreme heat & cold.
6) For the temple’s Brahma Kund, water has been collected from 300 rivers including holy rivers of India and 50 states of US.
7) All modern amenities & practices have been brought to life here. The structure has a solar panel farm along with fly ash concrete mix while the sprawling gardens have plantation of more than 2 million trees.
8) The construction of temple, over the years, saw voluntary contribution & selfless service by thousands of individuals, ranging from common people to doctors, engineers & top managers & CEOs of companies. They reportedly took leave from work and stayed in accommodation near the temple to contribute in erecting the historic structure.